How is this a different approach to content management?
A quick exploration of the world of content management reveals obvious limitations in current classical solutions — the disdained Content Management System. These limitations certainly present a great opportunity to fix things up, and reshape what modern content management should look like!
One of the reasons for the current state is historical. Back in the day, the main focuses of the CMS was to design and build web sites — almost making the actual content management and optimization a secondary goal. With the advances in design frameworks, CSS, web browsers and in mobile, we are no longer short of tools for building and designing apps and websites. But when it comes to content (even just a bit of it), the fun ends right there.
But can't content managment be fun? And can't manageable content integration be simple and quick? At prismic.io, we took a different approach to the content management problem.
- frameworks, builders, and designer tools usually don't belong in content management; with prismic.io, your content adapts to your ways, and not the other way around.
- prismic.io is optimized for the real users of a content management system: content writers and developers.
- prismic.io comes with a "writing-room" solving the needs of content writers (with smooth content versioning, planning, collaboration, ...), and a "content query API" solving the needs of developers (with technology-agnostic structured content, that you can manipulate at will to present as you wish).
- your content doesn't live "in a website / in websites", your project doesn't live "in a CMS"; rather, your content lives in one place and is shared across your websites, and your project lives absolutely anywhere you want.
Is it compatible with my project?
Are you using the most relevant development framework for your project? The one you're the best at, and that matches your needs the most?
Then prismic.io is glad to be compatible with your project! Actually, here's the trick: it was designed to be!
How is it faster and easier to use?
Getting started with prismic.io takes no more than 2 minutes, and you're all set up. Really.
Choose your favorite technology, create your prismic.io repository, create a blank app, and you're ready to start!
We take all of the content's technical complexity off your plate. Therefore you don't have to install anything new, or worry about it at all.
And then what is left to do? Developing / modifying what you want, with the technology you're the most comfortable with. We told you it would be faster first, and then easier!
With the technology and design constraints gone, and no technical strings attached, you will never again have to choose between either a CMS that takes you ages and constricts what you can do, or non-manageable content (and therefore a lot of lost time and energy) in order to work with the technology you want.
Do I need to enter my credit card details to sign up?
No, you don't!
We have free plans that you can use to try out Prismic.io. You can sign up and start working instantly with your prismic.io repository without entering your credit card details, and enter them only when upgrading your plan.
Is there a setup fee?
There are no setup fees. You can just register and start working.
Are there any limits to the document types I can create?
You may have noticed we provide you with default ones to help you get started, but you can totally freely edit them / delete them / create other ones / copy-paste particular fragments from one to the other / etc.
There is also no limit in quantity: you can create as many document types as you want, whatever plan you have (even with a free plan)
Why is it also great for cross-device content, and multi-channel strategies?
Getting content across devices has become a critical topic for companies at the moment, and even more so while content marketing has become such a cornerstone of all marketing verticals.
- Reusable content, not tightly coupled to one specific website or app.
- Structured content, cut in so-called "chunks" (reusable pieces) rather than in huge "blobs" (full webpages with minimal structure), and an API that allows you to combine chunks in many ways.
- A presentation-independant back-office, not affected by the way content is displayed elsewhere.
- Meaningful metadata to best adapt the way the content is displayed.
- A document-oriented back-office, that doesn't tie content to webpages, but that focuses on separate documents.
We've got #1, #2, #3, and #5 fully covered for you; now. #4 relies on the choices you make to model your content (your decisions on document types, fields, etc.). But with our easy to use documents, real-world examples, and the helpful posts we publish on our blog, we're sure you'll do great! And if you ever run into any questions, you can always get in touch with us through the "Ask us anything" box in your writing-room. We're always here to help.
About performance, how does caching work with prismic.io?
There are long technical answers to this in our blog, explaining that caching on our side is optimal since it's just like we were serving you static files, and that caching on your side is smooth because documents are immutable. But what you should remember most in a nutshell:
- all of our development kits come with caching out-of-the-box, and with a basic caching strategy that is quite sufficient for the majority of cases (and which you can override for other cases);
- cache entries work forever, you don't actually need to invalidate them, you are only limited by your server's physical constraints (storage space, etc.);
- changes are instantaneous, and "wait for the cache to clear" is not a sentence that exists while using prismic.io;
- the only document you'll only ever need to query for sure is the very short /api endpoint, but you can even make the choice not to query it every time;
- for the few calls your application effectively needs to make, the responses you'll get from our servers are way faster than you need them to be.
What is the technology / template engine / framework / server I have to use to build my website with prismic.io?
First step to get started with prismic.io is: choose your favorite technology. And we mean it, ANY technology.
So whatever the technology / template engine / framework / server you want to be using for your project, prismic.io is meant to be the best solution to manage content with it.
Check out the prismic.io docs to see if there is documentation dedicated to your technology to help you get started.
Is your website itself built using prismic.io?
Of course! It's the best tool out there to do content, so why would we use anything else?
Is there any storage or usage limit for a content repository?
There is no hard limit on how much you can store in a production content repository, or on how much you use the Writing Room and the Content Query API.
However, we've tuned our content repository for fair normal use. We will reach out to you if we think your project will go beyond this. You can also contact us if you have any further inquiries.
Create your prismic.io repository now, it's free to start experimenting and developing with.Get started